OVERVIEW AND CHALLENGES
Moderne Ventures is a Chicago-based women-led venture capital firm with over $350M AUM. The firm invests in early stage technology companies in and around the real estate, insurance, finance, hospitality, and home services industries which represent 20% of the US GDP and billions of dollars of annual expenditures.
Moderne provides a unique value proposition to its portfolio companies including insights, knowledge and a chance to earn business directly from the customers they are targeting through the Moderne network. Among Moderne’s notable ventures are ICON, Porch [NASDAQ: PRCH], Better Mortgage, Hippo Insurance, Homesnap (acquired by Costar), Super, Easyknock, and Kaiyo. Moderne was preparing to launch its second fund but, in the face of a limited media footprint and no sustained coverage, leadership hired Rally Point to boost the firm’s visibility in order to ensure the biggest possible impact.
Rally Point built a strategy intended to soften the market in advance of the upcoming news announcement and to elevate their reputation beyond by:
- Identifying USP as a vertical approach to venture and doubling down on that for press.
- Writing and placing a series of thought leadership articles that aligned with major industry trends and showcased the founder’s vision.
- Fortifying Moderne’s online presence with blog posts and social media amplification.
- Forging relationships with reporters covering venture as well as their verticals.
- Leveraging Moderne’s portfolio companies to coordinate announcements and capitalize on mutual interests.
TechCrunch ran an exclusive profile on the company upon the closing of its oversubscribed $200 million Fund II. The article catalyzed a stream of coverage resulting in 16 hits about Fund II including Fortune, Pitchbook, and Yahoo Finance as well as portfolio partnership announcements. In addition, Moderne founder Constance Freedman appeared as an expert on Bloomberg TV and Cheddar to discuss the housing industry.
- Women-led fund with $350M in AUM
- Focus on multi-trillion-dollar industries
- Watershed story in TechCrunch catalyzed stream of stories